Friday, August 5, 2016

November Rain

"November Rain"

Copyright @ 2014 by Anuj Sabharwal

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author. For permissions, write to author at anujsabharwal3@gmail.com 

Author's Note: This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents are a product of the author's imagination. Locales and public names are sometimes used for atmospheric purposes. Any resemblance to actual people is completely coincidental. 
Chapter Nine.....

Ashley returns home after the Rape Statement......

There was an awkward silence between us as Sammy drove me back. I was relieved that all important statement was over though few eyes at the police station disturbed me. The look on their faces already blamed me for rape. They seem to ask, ‘Did you ask for it? Why did not you fight hard? Was it really rape? Your dress must be kinky.’ Their behavior was difficult to evaluate.

‘Are you also mad at me?’ I asked Sammy as he opened the main door.

‘Why I should be mad at you in the first place?’

‘They seemed to blame me. The eyes say everything. They always blame the victim, don’t they?  

‘No, I don’t blame you. You know me,’

‘Believe me Sammy. I was not careless. I locked the main door. I was not strong enough to fight him and protect myself. I feared for my life, ’

‘It doesn’t change anything now. Does it? Whatever happened has happened. We can’t roll it back and change it. I wish I could though,’

I stared at him as he closed his eyes and breathed heavily.

‘I am in so much hatred. I don’t know what’s going to happen in future. But I won’t let him get away with it,’

‘You need to be strong. We should start our lives with a clear mind,’ I said holding him as my chest touched his. Sammy was not up to his usual manners. Strangely, he did not try to wrap his hands around my waist. Hands in pocket, he stood there motionless. It was awkward for me. His eyes lacked usual gleam. I had a feeling that he needs time to accustom to this bizarre setting in our lives.

‘I will sleep in the guest room, the room where Stella slept when she was here,’ 

‘I will lie down on the couch, in the living room,’ replied Sammy.

But I held his hand as he turned for the living room.

‘Is something wrong Ashley?’

‘Stay with me. You can lie with me, on the bed,’

‘Don’t strain yourself on it. I will be fine on the couch,’

Looking into his eyes, I offered my hand to him.

‘This time I want to listen to my heart,’

‘And what does it says?’

‘It says it always belonged to you,’ I said as I leaned back with pillow supporting my back.

2 comments: